Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Undercoating and Re-wiring the Underside of the Trailer

Well, I can't wait any longer.  I need to get the bottom of my teardrop protected.  I've been thinking that I would take it to a place that does underbody spraying, like Line-X.  Unfortunately that has proven to be a lot more expensive than anticipated.  I've also read a lot of conflicting information on whether or not I even need to do anything to the pressure treated plywood bottom.  Personally, I'm all about over-engineering when and if I can.  It seems pretty easy to apply the spray on undercoating.

I purchased two different types of Rustoleum spray; one cost $4 and one cost $11.


 I'll give each a try and see which seems to work best.  The area I'm mostly concerned about is the wheel well; I replaced the aluminum wheel wells, when I replaced the galley, with plywood.  I treated the plywood with Thompson's Water Sealer and then painted over that, however, I think adding the undercoating on top of that will be a little bit of extra protection for very little investment.


I also want to cover the storage boxes.  Even though those are also treated and painted, the rubber coating will add additional weather resistance.

I will jack the teardrop up and then put it on the jack stands to allow me a bit more access underneath.

In addition to applying the undercoating, I'll re-do the marker lights and LED fixture wiring.  I tried using some wiring that I had and it turned out to be WAY TOO thick.  This was great for getting through my improvised conduit, but it made it very tough to pull through the holes I added for connections.  I purchased some auto wire that will work perfectly for these two applications.  Additionally, I purchased some water tight connectors for the wiring that will be under the trailer.  This will make the connections last a lot longer.  I don't want to have to climb under the teardrop more than I have to!

In addition to using the conduit for under the teardrop, I'm thinking that I can improvise a water tight connection through the wheel well; the wheel wells are super 'tall' on this model.  If I were to use a small junction box in the 'hidden' bottom part of the interior teardrop shelf, I could safely bring in the wires and then use plumber's caulk or a rubber washer or two to 'close up' the opening both in the well and in the hidden shelf area.  I think this will work well.



No comments:

Post a Comment