Friday, May 17, 2013

Reflections, Remorse, Reality, Rejuvenation!

So, on the way to Tae Kwon Do this evening, my son and I passed a home that had a teardrop in the driveway.  This is strange because we have NEVER seen another teardrop in Kenosha.  Not only was it a teardrop, it was a Silver Shadow teardrop made by the Little Guy Trailer Company.  Not only was it a Silver Shadow teardrop, it was for sale.  The chances of all of those things happening in one place and time seem very remote.


I immediately had that pang of desire, guilt and frustration.  I responded with a moan.  My son, who immediately said the right thing, was awesome.  He said, "But Dad, you are personalizing your teardrop.  You don't want one made in a factory.  You get to make yours just like you want it."

Of course, on the way home, we had to slowly pass it again.  I looked at it, like a little kid in a candy store, wondering how much they were asking for it.  My son, once again, reminded me of how unique my teardrop was going to be.  "Nobody in the world will have the same teardrop as you, Dad."

I love that kid!

Here are the facts:

  1. I paid $1,695 for my 1947 Tourette Trailer.
  2. I have put that much and a bit more into it 'customizing' it.
 My teardrop is a 5 x 10.  So, were I somehow to come up with $7,600, to buy a new teardrop; I would possibly be able to have one.  Because the teardrop I was 'looking at' was smaller and used, it would have probably have been in the $5,000 range.

Regardless, I'm in under cost for purchasing a Silver Shadow.  And, I have something very, very unique, a 66 year old trailer with character!

This weekend I am going to blitzkreig on the trailer.  I'm getting up at sunrise tomorrow and will FINISH the galley area and finalize all the electric.  I haven't been able to 'complete' many elements of the project in the past few weeks, and I'm anxious for some closure.  Not rushing the process, but I want to finish some elements!  My goal is to be completely done with the interior and electric by June 1st.  Then I'll move to polishing and finishing the exterior.

No comments:

Post a Comment