Saturday, May 18, 2013

Finally, Some Progress I Can See!

My day started bright and early.  Went for a coffee and then dug right in.  Got the rest of the galley that had not been finished painted.


My second project was finding a way to mount the spare tire under the galley.  You can see the three bolts just in front of my drill.  I used rubber washers to hopefully keep any water from penetrating through the floor of the galley.


Three of the five bolts; should be plenty of support.


Next, I painted all the drawers and doors.  I started by painting them all blue.  I immediately regretted that decision.  I waited for them to dry and then painted them brown; which was my original plan.


The next project was to cut the hole for the Marinco power port entry.  I was very anxious about cutting the hole in the side of the wall.

There's the hole.  The problem I had to solve next was how to trim the wood on the inside so I could use the washer/nut that goes on the inside.  The walls were a little too thick.  I ended up using one of my sanding cylinders; that worked perfectly.

The port installed.


What it looked like from the inside.


Next project, install the gasket over the hinge. I taped it in place to get a feel for how large the gasket would be.


The sun was hot and it ended up helping me a lot because the gasket and the butyl tape heated up and made it easy to 'stick' in the right place.


I ended up adjusting the edges of the gasket a bit.  I bent the aluminum over the edge so that any rain would run off the drip edge.


I'm really happy with how this turned out.


Cabinets, drawers and doors, take two.


Not a good photo, but you can see how I mounted one of the four LED lights that will come on when the porch lights are lit.  Hopefully this will keep me from banging my shin into the corner at night.


Was able to install the galley light.  I really like that it is on a swivel.  That way you can aim it where you need it.


Was able to put in all the power receptacles and fixtures.  They are not connected yet; that's my big goal for tomorrow.


Close up of the spare tire mount.


The last major problem I solved today was one that had been causing me a lot of trouble.  I could not get the latch on the teardrop to connect.  I also could not figure out how to make the new handle work with the old fixture.  The first part, getting it to fit ended up being easy; I just bolted it in place.  The second part, getting it to work, not so much.  Because the latch is a blind connection (you can't see what's going on because the hatch is in the way) I could not figure out how to get the 'catch' to connect.  Then I had an idea:


I needed someone small enough to fit in the cooler slot so that when I closed the hatch they could see what was happening with the latch.  Jack just so happened to come out and ask if I needed any help.  Within twenty minutes, we had it fixed!  Now, the latch is installed and works perfectly!

As I mentioned before, tomorrow's goal is to get the electric completely done.  I'm going to go set my alarm.

2 comments:

  1. Todd,

    One of the photos of the spare tire mount shows the underside of the trailer. What I see is bare plywood. You really want to coat the underside with something that will repel water to avoid the floor literally rotting out underneath you.

    Regards,
    Emmitt

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of latch is that on the back door? I like that's style do you remember where you bought it from?

    ReplyDelete