Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Electrical Design; Special Thanks Again to Fellow Blogger: "Desert Dog!"

I've said it before, but the internet is an amazing thing!  I've noted Desert Dog's fantastic website, where she has chronicled the build and experiences of her teardrop, before, but I owe her another bit of gratitude.  Electricity is not my forte.  Thanks to Desert Dog, Joanne, I have a very clear picture of what I need to do in order to get my electrical system in place.



By picture, I literally mean a picture!  She sketched out for me how to lay out my electrical system.  For me, a visual learner, this was so incredibly helpful!  I am very grateful for her help and guidance.

I was having some trouble with my set up because my circuit board did not have a buss strip for the ground.  She sketched me a quick layout which helped me tremendously!

Here is her sketch of how to set up the various circuits:


With this simple diagram, I was able to layout my entire electrical system, basing it all off the two circuits she helped me visualize.  Here is my first crack at designing an electrical schematic.  I downloaded the free app called Schematics Light.  I must confess that I basically used it as a drawing tool; I had no idea what I was doing.  I'm sure that this design is full of schematic no-no's!  I think its helped me figure out how to do the wiring and I guess that's what is important, right?


The way it is designed at this point, I will have the reading lights, galley lights and dome lights all on one circuit.  I'll take a trick out of Joanne's tool box here and use a connector bar to bring those lines together before going to the fuse panel.  The four 12 volt outlets will have a similar breaker bar.

I think I will be able to drill a hole in the bulkhead panel at the bottom of the shelf area and pull the wires through there into the small compartment in the galley.  I'm hoping I can run it this way so I don't have to create something to 'hide' the wires coming into the battery compartment.

After I replace the hinge and seal up the fan, I'll be able to start pulling some wires.

1 comment: