Sunday, December 8, 2013

Winter Camping?

Yowza!  Spent my first night in the teardop in winter.  The outside temperature dropped to 4 degrees.  The weather forecast called for snow, and I knew I would be putting the winter cover on soon.  I thought this might be my last chance for a long while.



Brady and I climbed into the teardrop and the first thing I felt was that the memory foam mattress was basically a frozen slab!  The tiny particles that make the mattress were so cold they barely moved.  Thankfully, after our bodies were sitting on them for a few minutes, they began to absorb some of our warmth.  Soon, it was somewhat pliable.

I switched on all the lights and remembered I had forgotten to turn on the battery.  I grabbed a frozen power cable and plugged the teardrop in to charge the battery.  When I turned the lights on it took them a while to warm up too.  I plugged in my 'new' heater and went inside to make a cup of hot cider.  The heater bogged down the circuit, even though it was plugged in.  Even after 30 minutes, the heater had not warmed the inside of the cabin at all.  I'm guessing that it must need a lot more wattage in order to produce the heat it promised.  I decided to turn it off and went and got another blanket.

I had been waiting all week to watch the final episode of The Game of Thrones.  I propped up my iPad, tapped into the wifi, and snuggled with Brady, as I watched the less than gratifying conclusion.



By the time the show was over, it had warmed a tiny bit.

I started the night with Brady laying on top of the blankets near me.  By about midnight, he was under both blankets and snuggling next to me.  I think he would have fine, but I was taking advantage of his body heat.

By the time the sun rose, the temperature was at its lowest.  The windows were frozen over due to our respiration.



True to the forecast, the snow had begun.

I decided to put the cover on and put the teardrop to bed for its long winter nap.



We're already planning our first adventure in the spring!



2 comments:

  1. I have read your post. thank's for sharing. This is great post.I like this post. Many many thanks for this post.Really this post is so helpful for the Winter Camping.
    fantasticoutdoor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camping in a group is a fun experience when you have all of the right equipment to make sure that everyone has what they need to be comfortable. One of the things people need when camping in a group is a little space and a little privacy. motorcycle camping gear

    ReplyDelete