Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Windows

Well,  I've made a cardboard template of the cut out for the window.  I discovered another thing last night as I was meticulously examining the door; I realized that the aluminum angle that was used to screw in the screen windows of the original design, are riveted to the door panel.  This is good news because I can easily remove the rivets, trim the angle pieces and then re-install either with bolts or possibly rivets.  I have not found a solution yet for the larger rivet holes.  I don't own a pneumatic rivet gun so I'm looking into other alternatives.


The above image is before I re-painted the door.


Now all I need is some time and a very good saw blade.  I'm hopeful that I might be able to cut out the window openings tonight and rough fit the windows into place.  It should go pretty smoothly.  NOTE:  Way too tired to attempt this feat!  Will have to try another day. 

Interestingly, the template proved to me that the top and bottom portion, or the horizontal section, is exactly the right size.  The area that needs to be altered is the radii and the width.  If I take it nice and slow, things should go very well.

Installing these windows marks a commitment to the project; there's no going back after this.  If I screw it up, there are not extra 1947 Tourette Travel Trailer doors just laying around.  It has to be done right.  The only other thing that makes me this nervous is cutting a hole in the roof of the teardrop to install the ventilation fan.  That is going to really freak me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment