Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Vent Placement and Interior Cabinets

I've been thinking about the placement of the Fantastic Fan.  For several reasons I can imagine it being directly overhead in the cabin.  The first is that the fan's blades are clear.  This would be really neat to look up at the night sky.  Also, my wife and I are big fan people.  We sleep with a fan on at night, both for the sound, which helps us sleep, and the movement of air.  In the worst case scenario, a really hot night, having the fan blow directly on our faces might be great.



However, the shape of the interior of my teardrop only has a very slim area that is 'flat.'  That spot is about midway in the cabin.  Believe it or not, this impacts a bunch of other things.  I have reading lights that I plan to install at the front/top of the cabin, just a bit away from the bulkhead doors.  I had planned on putting in a dome light.  It has a red/white bulb to allow for night vision.  Now that I'm getting closer to the point of installing everything, I'm thinking of putting that dome light closer to the cabinets in the cabin.  This would be helpful when trying to get into the cabinets when its dark out.  I think the reading lights will be useful for general light and of course for reading.


So, I've had some discussions with folks about interior cabinets.  One friend of mine says to keep the 'shelf' that currently sits in the interior of my cabin.  It actually, as I've said before, could double as a bunk for a person under five feet.  It is also a convenient place to stow just about anything that fits in the large area (5' by 2').  However, I'm leaning towards doing something like this:


 This would basically be exactly the same amount of 'space,' it would just look more 'finished.' At least that's how I feel about it right now.  One thing for sure, I want to insulate all of the walls.  I don't want to take the easier route of not insulating the exterior walls inside the cabinets; otherwise those cabinets will 'sweat' when we are in the cabin.  I plan to make the cabinets fit the entire width of cabin.   I know some designs have a space for a built in DVD player, etc. but that is not a huge need for me.  Most of the time I spend will be out of doors.  If the need arises to being socked in due to rain, we could always watch something on our iPhone!  Not the big screen, but in a pinch it could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment