Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Door and Hatch Locks

What a difference a few swipes with a square file can make!  Thirty seconds later, the brand new chrome handles fit perfectly in the antique inner assemblies.  I WD40'd everything and tried them out.  I decided not to mount them yet.  I figure that when I polish the skin it will be easier to do the door without the handles on.


The new chrome handles are going to look sweet on the shiny new skin!  I've got a chrome little 'button' that will go on the bottom hole.  I can't figure out exactly what that was for on the old handle. 


Here is an above view of how the old mechanism fit with the new handle.  The original designers came up with a pretty good way to 'hold' the locking mechanism by placing the metal on a block of wood.  It looks much better with a nice coat of Rustoleum!


Side view of the same thing.


This is my new chrome galley handle inserted into the original latch.  I'm going to need to add some 'bushing' to the shaft of the handle.  It is a few millimeters thinner than the latch socket.  Interesting, a millimeter here/there sure makes a difference.  I think I like this latch mechanism a lot more than the 'new' one.







7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, and hmm those are some pretty interesting door locks. But hey as long as they work then that's all that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for this, these locks definitely look more sturdy than most I've seen. Do you know where I could find door locks in Edmonton like this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really nice and interesting door locks.Thank you for sharing................

    Decorative Glass Doors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing these procedures are very helpful especially for those who do have similar concerns.

    Locksmith Des Plaines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, its locking mechanism is quite impressive. And nothing makes a beautiful knob more beautiful than when it works well. ;) Myrtice@Access Lock Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressive post about Door and Hatch Locks !

    Thanks for sharing with us. Hope you continue with us about the Concrete Filled Blast Doors. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a few rental spaces that need some work done before I can lease them out. It looks like the locks haven't been replaced in decades. Is there a lock type that is currently superior to others?
    http://www.rnrlockworksltd.com/

    ReplyDelete