Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Finesse and Fun!

At the risk of sounding incredibly repetitive, today was an amazingly beautiful day!  70 degrees and sunny.  My perfect weather kind of day!  The Carpe Diem is really coming along and today, as the title says, was a day of finesse and fun.

Started out enjoying my cold water by using my newly installed cup holders!  I love the cedar accent I was able to create yesterday.  


I had originally planned to make a false bottom on the shelf area to hide all my electrical lines.  Turns out I didn't need to do that; I bundled all the wires up and tucked them under the insulation on the far right side.  However, you never want to 'paint yourself into a corner' so to say.  So, I decided to make the back wall panel 'removable.'  It won't be easy, but it is possible to take out the back wall panel, simply by pulling on the top board.  Essentially, I just glued the cedar strips to the insulation.  Then I tacked a cover strip of wood at the top to 'join' the roof and the back wall.  If I ever need to get to it, I can!  This, by the way, was how it looked when I started adding the cedar strips.


All the cedar strips are in place.  Also, take a look at the Fantastic Fan.  I installed the fascia around the fan.  It pulled the roof together so nicely I think.


Bracing in place.  I found using sections of plywood to distribute the force and pieces of PVC pipe cut to length and then smooshed against a small piece of insulation makes very secure bracing.  Notice those cool new drink holders in fold up position!


Top piece in place and glue braced for overnight drying.  Notice the molding strip along the top of the roof over the doors.  More on that in the next photo.


Soaked the two molding strips that will go along the ceiling over the doors.  After soaking them, I braced them in their bended positions and will let them sit overnight.


Bulkhead doors removed.  I decided I would insulate the bulkhead with 1/2" insulation.  Half the thickness of the cabin due to the small area.  I think the insulation will help shield the cabin from the heat that is absorbed when the sun hits that front section.


Insulation loosely installed, waiting for glue and bracing.


One of many leg boo boos I have created by cutting insulation panels on my lap!


Cedar strips in place in the bulkhead.  I realized that the insulation can be used as an excellent brace by wedging it into place and using friction to press back against the surface being glued.

Okay, big task for tomorrow:  trim up the first door's insulation and headliner cover and cover the second door.  I'm hopeful my amazing daughter will help me with that.  If I have time, I may try cutting the mattress to the pattern of the floor.  Yikes.  I'm getting incredibly close to being done on the inside of the Carpe Diem.  That means I will be able to start on polishing the body soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment