Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Basket Test

So, on the way home this evening, I stopped at Target and picked up a couple of different baskets to try.  Why baskets and not build wooden bins?  Good question.  Not sure yet.  My thought is that they are lighter, some of the choices can be broken down to be stored flatly, and they are already made.  One negative is that they are not the exact size I want them to be.  The first was essentially a cube; in fact they are made for those cube storage units that have become so popular recently.






This one is a bit taller than the second one that I tried this evening.  Conversely, it is not as long or deep.  This leaves a little more of the shelf unused.  Not sure how I feel about that at this point.


You can see from the image above that it fits nicely in the height and is a little short in the depth.

The second bin was a bit deeper, but shorter.  It also did not breakdown to store flatly.



You can see from the image above that it is a bit longer or deeper.  Looking at the images again, I don't see a significant difference in their depth.  Either way, four of the baskets would fit nicely in the space.  There would be just a teeny bit of wiggle room with either choice. 


With the idea I had earlier about the slide out shelf and the power center below the main shelf, I think I'm ready to keep the shelf as is with the baskets.  I'll stop by Target tomorrow and pick up the additional baskets and see how that feels when I add the additional insulation.  The good thing about using the baskets is that I can easily convert it to open storage again without doing any damage.  Can't wait to finish the insulation and install the headliner this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment