Sunday, June 16, 2013

Razor Knife Two; Fingers Zero!

Father's Day! 


Slept in.  Got a new French Press coffee maker!  Already an awesome day!  


Started applying the contact cement to the headliner material.


Second door is perfect!  Ready to have Grace do her thing!  This is a really good shot of the molding glued into place.  Bracing it overnight fixed it right up.


Look at how nice that trim looks above the door!


Here's where the title of today's blog post comes from.  My razor knife is quite sharp.  So sharp that when I was slicing through the foam, I took the end of my pointer finger off.  It didn't hurt; sign of a sharp blade.  A bit later I sliced through the fabric and took out my middle knuckle.


Two bandages; one hand.


Got Jack to help sweep out the floor and sand and clean the excess glue off of the bulkhead.


My assistant Grace covering the second door!


The wood base under the doors is not bolted fully to the frame; long story.  I've tried jacking up the floor and bolting it together; it just pulls away when the pressure is off.  So, I've caulked, applied backer rod and then added a slice of insulation over it (see next pic) to keep all water out.


I think this is a good way to ensure that no water, ever comes up through this small seam.  The caulk, backer rod, more caulk and then the insulation strip should hopefully provide the seal I need.  Also, the mattress will compress this seal and further protect the area.


Here is the 'finished' door.  It looks pretty good, but I have to admit that I am not 'thrilled' with the imperfections I can see along the area where the window cut out is.  So, I decided to call upon my trusty garage door bottom insulation:


It's pliable, rubber, and I have 16' of it.  


After carefully gluing and using straight pins to hold it in place, I think the nearly finished product, that you can see above, looks pretty darn nice.  I also added a couple of strips over the hinges, just for looks.  I may do the same thing on the inside.

Both windows drying in the sun.  

Grace needed to get some things at the fabric store, so I tagged along.  I had, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, figured out a solution to the curtain dilemma.  So, I decided to go ahead and purchase some fabric to make the curtains.  We decided on a polka dot material, because my wife loves them.  The main color is orange with a cream field.  Can't wait to design some curtains and have my incredibly talented daughter sew them for me.


After an amazing dinner at Red Lobster, I came home to find my door panels all ready to install.  Don't they look awesome?  I am SO happy with how they look.  I am feeling incredibly pleased with the finished product of the Carpe Diem's inside.  With all of the improvements, I don't know that I could have 'built' one from scratch that would have been better!  As a guy who takes a lot of pride in his work, that's saying an awful lot!

Tomorrow:  tiny finish details in the bulkhead and a few small trim pieces to install in the shelving and bulkhead compartments.  Then, it's off to Harbor Freight to buy a 7" variable speed 'grinder' to begin the process of polishing this baby back to its original beauty on the outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment