Friday, March 29, 2013

Making Windows

I'm amazed at how little I 'accomplished' today.  I have created wooden door and screen assemblies.  The hardest part was getting the plywood to not 'splinter' or fray.  I later realized that I needed a much 'finer' toothed blade.  Wish I had learned this before because it would have saved me a lot of time sanding.  The screen window is two parts.  One part is 1/2" plywood and the other is 1/4".  I have to give myself credit for keeping one assembly in place so that as I worked on the replacement I could keep referring to it. 

 Above you can see one portion of the window being 'traced' as best as I could.  The old window was so brittle it broke with the slightest touch.
Here you can see the old screen window and the new one above it.  I am going to paint and seal the individual pieces before I sandwich the screen and install the new window.  


 You can see the way the screen window fits in the door.  There is a gap where foam rubber is applied to allow the window to seal when the hatch is pulled down.  I'm not terribly thrilled about the way the hatch is raised, but I haven't figured out a better system yet.  That might have to come from experimentation.

Tomorrow I'll seal and paint everything and try to get things installed.  After adding the foam insulation, the windows and doors should be water tight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment