Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Dream Binder

Above:  I love the color of the fender and the rims with the half moon hub cap.  This is one of my favorite images from my Dream Binder.

So what do you do when you can't actually work on your Teardrop? Well, if you're me, you start by dreaming about all the fun you will get to have. I have been collecting images for months of Teardrops through Pintrest and the Teardrop forum, so I printed them out, hole punched them and put them into a huge binder in their various categories.

Then, I started going through them making notes of things I like and dislike. Things I want to add to our Teardrop and things that I might want to add in the future.

Working through the images it becomes pretty clear; I want reading lights, porch lights, ventilation fans and a variety of power outlets. Some designs include both 12v and 120v power. Initially, I'm not so sure I want to add this, but the more I read and learn it seems to make sense on many levels. By having both, you can run an inverter which will allow you to run traditional appliances, chargers, etc either in the cabin or in the galley. Initially I thought I'd go with the simplest system, only 12v but now I see the value of a diverse system. Another piece of the system is the ability to plug in to 'shore power.' You can plug in to a power source while camping in 'powered' sites, or when you get to you destination and you can find a power source. I'm thinking that I will eventually add a solar panel to the system which will allow us to charge up while traveling and when in camp too.

Right now, I'm mostly thinking about how I'll Insulate and add the wood to the interior. As I said earlier, that should be much simpler when I remove the cabin from the chassis.

I asked Hans to send me some more photographs of the Teardrop, especially inside the cabin, galley and the hatch.

Those images will help placate me a bit longer. For now, it's. back to my dream binder.

No comments:

Post a Comment