Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reality Check...

It's time for a good old fashioned reality check.


Above, the most perfect teardrop.  The mythical $17,000 rarely seen Vacations in a Can species.  Often coveted, rarely bagged. :)


In my excitement and giddiness, I seem to have lost track of reality a bit.  Not an uncommon event in my world.  Larry, my fellow 1947 Tourette owner friend and classic car restorer, warned me to make a plan and go slowly.  "Don't rush," were his exact words.  Of course, like a little kid on Christmas morning, I want to plow ahead. 

The reality of the costs associated with the full restore have started to settle in and have forced me to be a bit more realistic, both financially and chronologically.

So, I've decided to channel my excitement into making a detailed and elaborate plan.  First I'll lay out the steps in order and then I'll go back into each step and break down the steps that have to be completed, what materials need to be purchased and what problems I anticipate.  Then, I will slowly begin working through those steps.

Here are the broad strokes; the general steps that need to happen in order to complete, if that is ever possible, the Teardrop Project.

  1. Install hitch
  2. Take ownership of the Teardrop/bring it home
  3. Clean and perform 'basic' structural and cosmetic repairs to Teardrop and trailer
  4. Add 'temporary'  lighting elements to cabin and galley
  5. Electrical plan
  6. Cabin and galley design
  7. Install electrical system
  8. Insulation of cabin and hatch
  9. Interior skin/hull liner installation
  10. Installation of cabin cabinets
  11. Installation of galley cabinets
  12. Repair aluminum skin
  13. Lubricate axles and bearings
  14. Add trailer elements
  15. Polish aluminum skin
Wow.  When you spell it out so logically, it seems like a huge list; one that while able to be accomplished, feels like a slow process.  In the words of Larry, "Go Slow."  In my next post, I'll begin breaking down each of these steps.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment