Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Now that I 'own' it, how am I going to renovate it?

Once again the Teardrops and Tiny Trailer Forum has been a lifesaver.  I found two owners who have 1947 Tourette Tourers just like mine on the forum.  Both of them were generous with their insight and advice.

One of them did a complete overhaul of the trailer.  He separated the hull from the chassis and replaced the entire flooring.

As I'm learning more and more about what went into that overhaul, I'm thinking that I will probably do something very similar to my Teardrop.

I started asking questions about how to insulate and 'skin' the interior of the Teardrop.  I received several excellent responses about what types of glues and foams to use.  And then I had one of those moment where I realized I had completely blown it.  I had visions of me covering the interior with foam insulation and single sheets of birch plywood and lacquering them to a beautiful finish.  How on earth did I plan on getting those large sheets of birch plywood into the interior?  Through the door?  Duh!  I suddenly understood why one owner used cedar strips to do the job: they could easily be inserted through the doors!

I'm sure this is just the first of many, many more revelations I'll have over the next few months.

Larry and Jill, two owners from just outside of Dayton, Ohio were very kind to e-mail me and answer a slew of questions and give some terrific advice.


This is Larry and Jill's completely restored 1947 Chevrolet Truck and 1947 Tourette Teardrop Trailer.  Sweet isn't it?

As of now, I'm thinking that I will remove the cabin from the trailer and upgrade and repair it as needed.  Then we'll be able to access the interior of the cabin from underneath.  This will allow me to insert the full size sheet goods into the cabin and the roof after I've wired the entire trailer for lights and electricity.

That's my next task:  figure out what I want, electricity wise, inside the cabin and what additional lighting features and switches I want to add to the exterior too.  I'm going to study the forum posts on these ideas and hope to glean as much as I can from others mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment