Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Two Week Hiatus

We arrived home on Wednesday evening.  Thursday was a day of catching up and taking care of the yard and other projects that needed tending to.  Friday morning I was scheduled for surgery.  This would be my second Carpal Tunnel surgery (I had my right wrist done a couple of years ago.)  I knew what I was getting myself into and was stocked up on books, movies and the like.  The long road trip certainly proved that I needed the surgery; my arm would fall asleep while driving after only a minute or two.  That and being woken up several times in the night with the throbbing pain let me know the time was here for the second surgery.


Me coming to from the anesthesia.


My son giving me a hug post-surgery.


My 'orange' arm in the elevated position.

The joke with my family was that my surgeon dipped my arm in Cheetos after the surgery.  Of course it really was the iodine that they use to make sure everything is sterile, but it's a fun joke.  

I've now had almost a week of recovery.  My biggest 'problem' is itching under the bandages.  A chopstick works darn well for that purpose.  I'm typing quite well I must say; once again I'm thrilled that I learned to type 'properly' in high school because my fingers intuitively know where the keys are and I don't even have to think about it.

The teardrop has had nearly a week of hot, dry weather.  It's still quite humid, but there has been no rain since we've returned.  We've been able to have the doors open to allow plenty of air to circulate inside.  I checked yesterday on the caulk.  It appears to have completely 'cured.'  Unfortunately, I am not sure how to 'check' to see if the leak(s) have been fixed without hitching up the trailer and driving it through a rainstorm.  

Before we do that, we are planning to take further precautions.  I plan to caulk the 'gap' from underneath as well.   I am going to use the spray on rubberized coating called "Leak Stop" to  give me some assurance of a seal.  Additionally, I plan to add a rubber membrane (probably another inner tube section over the area that has been caulked.  Lastly, I'll use the same Leak Stop product underneath and along the gap on the teardrop.  I don't think there is anything else I can do.  The thing that stinks is that I won't 'know' for sure if it is fixed until I pull it through a bad storm. 

2 comments:

  1. Would simply hitting the areas with a hose be a sufficient test? I'd think the direct pressure along the seams would penetrate any gaps.

    So sorry to hear about your surgery though it impresses me even more that you built your trailer while suffering from CT. I hope both you and the Carpe Diem are now fixed for good and your arm pain and the trailer's leaks are now things from the past, soon to become distant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacie!

    I think you are right; I still have some additional caulking and I think I'll even install a rubber membrane over the 'joint.' I get my 'cast' off next week and then I'll be able to do that additional work. Once I've done that, I will try testing it by spraying from below.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete