Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mid-Trip Reassessment

We headed south from Sugar Island, Michigan, and as we did, we were met with lots and lots of heavy rain.  The Carpe Diem pulled well; we ended up taking two lane freeways the last half.  Our destination was Columbus where we were staying the night with Erica's brother and family.  We woke up this morning and went out to grab some laundry to wash and found a very unwelcome development...


The marine fabric that was on top of the floor in the bed area of the teardrop.

The first thing I noticed was that the bedspread was wet.   Upon further inspection, I saw that not only was the bedspread wet, the mattress cover was completely soaked.  I pulled the bedspread out and soon saw that under the mattress the marine fabric was also completely soaked.  


The foam of our mattress.

After pulling out the mattress and the marine fabric, I found the problem.  We knew that there was a small problem with the floor under the doors.  There seems to be some kind of bowing of the plywood floor that pulls it away from the metal frame of the walls.  I had jacked the frame up earlier and then bolted through the bowed wood before I caulked and weatherproofed the side walls.  Over time, the bolts pulled out of the wood and the 'gap' opened again.  Unfortunately, the rains penetrated the gap and the marine fabric and the mattress pad simply absorbed and wicked the moisture up from the bottom of the floor.


After removing the marine fabric from the floor.


The gap, look at the space between the silver sheet metal screw and the black wood floor.

I went to Menard's and picked up several tubes of caulk, some backer rod and a remnant of linoleum and necessary adhesives.  I've decided that the marine fabric is not the best material to use for my flooring.  Of course, I kind of knew this, but I didn't see a 'need' to do so until now.  Thankfully, I was able to purchase a small remnant that will fit very well for our use.  

I removed the old caulk and backer rod.  Then, I added a layer of caulk in the gap and then inserted the backer rod into it.  After an hour or so, I added another layer of caulk and some more backer rod.  In all, I probably have an inch of 'caulk' in the gap with the backer rod.  I am planning to cut the linoleum a little wider than the flooring so that I can use it to bridge the gap in the frame/floor.  I am hopeful that the linoleum will protect the mattress from any moisture that might possibly get in.  I can't imagine that any moisture will make it through the incredible amount of material I put in there today, but you never know.


The aluminum flashing at the top of the neoprene rubber rock guard needed to be re-glued today.

Somehow, quite miraculously, the small piece of aluminum that is at the top of the neoprene came unglued and landed in the basket.  So, since I was caulking, I cleaned up the area and re-glued the piece of aluminum.  We are hopeful that this will prevent any water from seeping down under the neoprene layer.  


The linoleum remnant has a wood grain look.  I cut it a little wider than the mattress to allow for some overlap of the metal.


Looking at the linoleum in this view, it makes me think about the storage boxes on the floor; it would have been slick to have the linoleum down to create a water-tight layer.  


The linoleum cut very easily with a razor knife.



I used a straight edge to cut the 'lids' to the storage boxes.  For now, I'm just going to leave the marine fabric on the 'lids.'  I will switch them out when we get home.


I think it looks pretty nice!

My next step was to add yet another layer of caulk to the edges.  I pulled up the linoleum along the edges to let the caulk dry overnight.  Like I said, I'll replace the marine fabric on the lids when we get home.  I am thinking about not using the adhesive that is usually used in a household application.  I think the heavy duty contact cement should be just fine. 

While we were on the first couple of legs of our journey, we made a list of 'additions' or improvements we wanted to make to the Carpe Diem.  Some of them are practical, some of them are creature comforts, some of them are fun things to do.  Here is the list up to now:

  1. Add hat hooks (possibly use velcro to hold the hooks).
  2. Make a square 'key' for locking the locks inside the cabin.
  3. Come up with some kind of system for pulling up the triangle brace.
  4. Velcro corners on the curtains
  5. File down bolts on the door locks.
  6. Re-do the driver side door lock (not matching up properly).
  7. Glue driver side cup holder back in place.
  8. Side table or folding table to hold stove and a space to work and prepare meals.
  9. Fresh scent for inside the cabin (lavender oil or air freshener?)
  10. Remove and vacum the vent screen and window screens.
  11. Cover the door hinges in the same rubber used on doors.
  12. Trivet for putting hot pots while cooking.
  13. Add tea and sugar to our supplies; both regular and decaf.
  14. Spoon rest for cooking.
  15. Salt.
  16. Clorox wipes.
  17. New Stove (propane; our Coleman is not optimum for cooking).
  18. Propane (we saw someone who kept their propane tank in a milk crate for ease of moving it around and being able to lash it to the cargo basket).
  19. 12" extension for the tow tongue (We learned that the cargo basket cuts down on our turning radius an awful lot!)
  20. Crock Pot: if there is 120 volt power we could use it to cook a meal while we are away, or if needed we could use the inverter in the cabin.
  21. Crossword puzzles/word finds.
  22. Mancala Game.
  23. Cribbage (we want to learn how to play.)
  24. Cards
  25. Electrical Tape
  26. Duct Tape
  27. Random electrical connectors.
  28. Screwdrivers
  29. WD-40
  30. Carabiners (the two 'hooks' we used to hold the chains in place were bent and broken during travel.)
  31. Fly Rod and associated gear.
  32. Assorted Rubbermaid containers to store food in the cooler and prevent it from becoming contaminated from water, etc.  Also to put ice in to help ice last longer.
Just a 'few' things to add to the Carpe Diem!


We are planning to head south tomorrow morning to drop our children off with their other grandparents for a few days.  Erica and I are going to revisit our College Alma Mater, Ohio University.  We haven't been there together in over 15 years.  We look forward to spending some time in the place where we fell in love.  






1 comment:

  1. Aw so sorry to hear about the leak! I'd definitely make sure the wood is dry all the way through before affixing the linoleum down otherwise you could trap moisture in there that can cause dry rot. Along with fixing the leak itself I'd set out some pans of desiccant inside the trailer for as long as you can before you take it out again before sealing things up.

    And wow. That's quite a to do list :) I came home with a similar one that also includes a fishing rod. LOL

    ReplyDelete