Friday, June 27, 2014

Wiring Nuts

The hitch went on without a 'hitch!'  However, the electrical was quite another story.  I didn't know what exactly I needed and so I relied a bit too fervently on etrailer.com to help me decide.  In hindsight, I should have spoken with a person rather than using their automated online services.  I ordered a wiring kit for my Honda Civic, but ended up ordering one that required splicing into the car's electrical system.  I thought I ordered this:

So, I spoke with the very helpful staff at etrailer.com and purchased the above wire harness that has 'clips' that connect directly into the manufacturers connections.  This means I do not have to splice or interfere with the vehicle's stock wiring.  To me, an electrical novice, there was no question which I preferred.






The connections couldn't have been simpler.  Click the different units.  It was even easier than I thought; the clips were made to ONLY fit on one particular wire harness; it would almost be impossible to do it incorrectly.  Almost.  We'll see when I plug it in to the trailer to test it. 











All the ground wires were secured to this ground post on the interior of the trunk.


That was about all I got accomplished today.  I plan to run the wiring on both the vehicle and the trailer in the next couple of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment