Thursday, April 25, 2013

Hinge Trouble

I started to tinker around with my new hinge tonight, only to find out I've got a problem.

Take a look:


What you are looking at is the discoloration of the metal from the adhesive used to hold a rubber gasket underneath the piano hinge, which was original on the teardrop.  The new hinge is one I bought to hopefully solve my leak issues.  Unfortunately, as you can see, the hinge is too narrow and does not cover the 'gap.'

Here is the original hinge:


Significantly larger; probably double in mass and girth.  I think I'm going to have to resort to replacing the rubber gasket and re-installing the original hinge.  I'm wondering if I should resort to my bicycle tire gasket solution again?



One thing that I did notice about the 'hatch' is that it is much more rigid with the horizontal stabilizer piece I re-attached to it.  Also, it seems like the hatch fits perfectly over the sides of the galley.  This was a problem on the trip back from Tennessee.  It seemed to be quite weak and wobbled a lot.  It now feels more solid.

Now, to find a gasket that is five feet wide and 1 1/2" thick, or something that would work like that.  I wonder if butyl tape would be sufficient?

1 comment: